What is Schirmer Tear Test?
The Schirmer Tear Test (STT) is used to measure the rate of tear production in animals. It can be used to diagnose tear deficiency as a contributing factor to ocular (eye) surface diseases, such as Keratoconjunctivitis sicca (KCS), pigmentary keratitis, indolent corneal ulcers, exposure keratitis, and more. It can also be used to assess lacrimal gland function before cataract surgery. Each standardized sterile strip has a color bar tear front indicator and a millimeter scale (up to 35 mm). One package of Schirmer Tear Test contains 5 sets of two strips (one for the left eye and one for the right eye).
Dogs, Cats, Horses, Rabbits
- Measures rate of tear production
- Comes in sets of two standardized sterile strips for each eye
- Has a color bar for an easy measure of moisture
- Can be used to diagnose eye diseases
How does Schirmer Tear Test work?
The Schirmer Tear Test measures the rate of tear production by measuring the amount of moisture on the test strip after the test is done.
The Schirmer Tear Tests are intended for single patient use only. Contents are sterile if package is unopened and undamaged. Don't use if the package has been previously opened. Administration of anticholinergic drugs, such as atropine, can temporarily suppress tear secretion and cause decreased STT value.
Schirmer Tear Test Directions:
- The test should be performed before any topical medication or manipulation of the eyelids.
- Gently place the hooked end of the sterile strip into the inner pocket of each eye where tears normally pool.
- Note the time.
- The eyelids can be held shut, or your pet can be allowed to keep the eyes open and blink freely.
- After 60 seconds has passed, immediately measure the length of the moistened area on the strip.
- If the test is prematurely interrupted, it's ok to repeat the test with a new paper strip.
Avoid touching the ocular end of the strip with your fingers. Although copious discharge present on the surface of the eye may be removed with a gauze sponge prior to the test, it's not necessary to do so.
Store at room temperature. Keep out of the reach of children.
Schirmer Tear Test Details:
|Standardized sterile strips||5x35 mm|